Message from City of Danville Utilities regarding cold weather impacts
Watermain breaks and issues with sanitary sewer lines are always a concern with extreme cold-weather events like we are expecting this weekend. Frozen ground, shifting soil and frozen water meters may contribute to breaks, low pressure or lack of water.
City of Danville Utility Personnel will be working during the holidays to monitor our utility system and address any issues that arise. We ask that drivers are cautious of any utility vehicles working along the roadways.
If you have issues with your water or sewer service, please contact City Hall at 859-238-1200 (select option 1 for utilities and follow the prompts to report your concerns),or call the Water Treatment Plant at 859-238-1241.
Prepare your home for cold weather
The impacts mentioned above concern your water and sewer utility services provided by the City of Danville. We will do what we can to keep things flowing for you on the outside, but you should take steps to prepare the interior of your home for the colder temps and avoid frozen pipes.
1. Check sprinklers, irrigations systems and outdoor hoses or faucets to ensure everything is turned off and drained.
2. Eliminate sources of cold air near water lines. Fix drafty windows and plug drafts around doors. Identify any freezing points in your home.
3. Know how to shut off your water.
4. Wrap pipes with insulation.
5. If pipes run through cabinets or vanities, open the doors to let the warmer room air flow in.
6. Keep water moving through the pipes by allowing a small trickle to flow.
If your pipes freeze:
- Shut off the water immediately
- Thaw pipes with warm air from a hair dryer or space heater. Do not leave space heaters unattended and do not use kerosene heaters or open flames. Of course, keep the hair dryer away from water.
- Be careful turning the water back on. Once pipes are thawed, slowly turnthe water back on and check pipe and joints for any cracks or leaks.
Have a safe and Happy Holiday!