Open Records Request

If you have questions about this form or to speak with someone regarding your FOIA request please contact City Hall at (859) 238-1200.

* Delivery Method

* Payment Method

  • Paper Copies: $0.10
  • Audio Tapes: $0.99
  • DVD Discs: $0.99

Delivery / postage fees additional depending on selected delivery type.

Extraordinary service fees dependant upon request.

To expedite the request, be as specific as possible in describing the records being requested. Also, please include the type of access requested (copying or inspection), and if data, the medium requested.


Requesting Access to Government Records Under the Kentucky Open Records Act (KRS 61.870 to KRS 61.884)

  1. This form should only be used to submit records requests to the City of Danville.
  2. In order to request access to government records under OPRA, you must complete all the required portions of and date this request form and deliver it in person during regular business hours or by mail or fax to the City Clerk. Your request is not considered filed until the City Clerk has received a completed request form. If you submit the request form to any other officer or employee of the City of Danville, that officer or employee may not have the authority to accept your request form on behalf of the City of Danville and your request will be directed to the City Clerk. The three business day response time will not commence until the City Clerk reviews the request to determine if it is complete.
  3. If you submit a request for access to government records to someone other than the appropriate custodian, do not complete the City of Danville request form, or attempt to make a request for access by telephone or fax; the Open Public Records Act and its deadlines, restrictions and remedies will not apply to your request.
  4. The fees for duplication of a government record in printed form are listed on the front of this form. We will notify you of any special charges, special service charges, or other additional charges authorized by State law or regulation before processing your request. Payment shall be made by check or money order payable to the City of Danville.
  5. If it is necessary for the records custodian to contact you concerning your request, providing identifying information, such as your name, address, and telephone number or an email address is required.
  6. You may be charged a minimum 50% deposit when a request for copies exceeds $25. The City Clerk will contact you and advise you of any deposit requirements. You agree to pay the balance due upon delivery of the records.
  7. The City Clerk may deny access to a person who has been convicted of an indictable offense in Kentucky, any other state, or the United States, and who is seeking government records containing personal information pertaining to the person’s victim or the victim’s family.
  8. By law, the City of Danville must notify you that it grants or denies a request for access to government records within three business days after the custodian of the record requested receives the request, provided that the record is currently available and not in storage. If the record requested is not currently available or is in storage, the custodian will advise you within three business days when the record can be made available and the estimated cost. You may agree with the custodian to extend the time for making records available, or granting or denying your request.
  9. You may be denied access to a government record if your request would substantially disrupt agency operations and the custodian is unable to reach a reasonable solution with you.
  10. If the City of Danville is unable to comply with your request for access to a government record, the custodian will indicate the reasons for denial on the request form and send you a signed and dated copy.
  11. Except as otherwise provided by law or by agreement with the requester, if the custodian of the record requested fails to respond to you within three business days of receiving a request form, the failure to respond will be considered a denial of your request.
  12. If your request for access to a government record has been denied or unfilled within the time permitted by law, you have a right to challenge the decision by the City of Danville to deny access. At your option, you may file a complaint in writing with the Office of the Attorney General for the Commonwealth of Kentucky. You may contact the Attorney General by telephone at (502) 696-5300, by mail at The Capital, Suite 18, 700 Capital Ave., Frankfort, KY 40601-3449, by email, or at their website. The Attorney General’s Office can also answer other questions about the law.
  13. Information provided on this form may be subject to disclosure under the Open Public Records Act.

© 2021 City of Danville, KY - All Rights Reserved.