Business & Occupational Licenses
Business (Occupational) License
Every person and business entity engaged in any trade, occupation, or profession, or other activity for profit, or anyone required to file a return under ordinance no. 1687 in the City of Danville, unless exempt by the specific terms of the ordinance, are required to register for a business license. The business registration application can be accessed below.
Fees: A one time Business/Occupational License Registration Fee of $25.00 will be made at time of application payable to the City of Danville. A business changing the name of the business shall notify the Director of Finance of the name change, but will not be required to pay a new license registration fee. Each person shall be required to complete a separate application and pay the twenty-five ($25) dollar registration fee for each separate business before the commencement of business or the event of a status change, other than change of address.
Penalties: It shall be unlawful for any person to engage in any occupation, trade, profession or other activity in the City without first having applied for and paid the business/occupational license registration fee. If the license registration fee is not paid prior to engaging in any business or activity, a penalty of twenty-five dollars ($25.00) shall be imposed in addition to any other penalties provided by Chapter 16 for the period during which any unlawful business or activity occurred.
Registration: Business registrations can be submitted in person, via mail, or email. Registration fees can be submitted via cash, check, money order, or credit card. Licenses will not be issued until completed application, fee, and penalty (if applicable) have been submitted.
Mail completed application and registration fee to: Finance Department, Attn: Business Licensing,
P.O. Box 670, Danville, KY 40423 or visit City Hall, 445 W. Main St., Danville, KY 40422.
Pay Online: City of Danville KY Business Licenses
Rate Change Effective October 1, 2017
Pursuant to Ordinance Number 1894 (PDF) Fiscal Year 2017:
- Beginning October 1, 2017: the rate at which Occupational License Fee (Payroll Tax) will be calculated will be 1.90%.
- Beginning October 1, 2017: the rate at which the Net Profit License Fee (annual license fee return) will be calculated will be 1.75%.
The net profit license fee rate change will affect returns for the tax year ending after September 30, 2017. Net profit license fee returns due by April 15, 2018, submitted for the tax year of January 1, 2017, to December 31, 2017, will be calculated at 1.75%.
Resources & Information
- Annual Reconciliation Form (PDF)
- Business Registration Application (PDF)
- Request To Close Business License Account (PDF)
- Annual License Fee Return (PDF)
- Payroll Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- Quarterly Withholding Return (PDF)
- Subcontractors Form (PDF)
- Occupational License Ordinance (PDF)
- Amending Ordinance Number 1863 (PDF) (tax rates effective October 1, 2015)
- Ordinance Number 1894 (PDF) (tax rates effective October 1, 2017)