- Fire Department
This list is to be used after obtaining all Danville Building and Planning and Zoning requirements and State Fire Marshal approval. Call the following phone numbers for more information:
- Danville Boyle County Building Inspector Phone: 859-238-1107
- Danville Boyle County Planning and Zoning Phone: 859-238-1235
Temporary Certificate of Occupancy for Consumer Fireworks Retail Sales
- Must comply with all State Laws and Regulations and have a current State Registration number.
- Obtain and complete City of Danville Temporary Certificate of Occupancy for Retail Sales of Fireworks application (PDF).
- Pay the $100 permit fee at City Hall.
- After the location is set up and prior to opening call the City of Danville Fire Department for a Site Inspection at 859-238-1211.
- A temporary Certificate of Occupancy will be issued after a site inspection is complete and the site is in compliance.
Site Inspection Items Needed
The site inspection will include the following items and forms to have on hand:
- Certificate of Insurance listing Workers' Compensation
- City of Danville Business License
- Fire Extinguisher with current inspection tag
- Location of sales is as stated on the application
- Posted No Sales Under 18 years of age
- Posted No Smoking Signs
- Storage is as listed in State Fire Marshal's application and as reported to the fire department
- The tent must have a certificate of Flame Resistance and must include the State Fire Marshal's Stamp
Public Fireworks Display Check List
- The City of Danville Fire Marshal will then sign off on the application
- Complete the application
- Obtain fireworks permit from the State Fire Marshals Office
- Pay the $100 permit fee at City Hall
- Submit application with all required paperwork
Public Fireworks Display Inspection
The City of Danville Fire Department will make an on-site safety inspection the evening of the display prior to the display after the initial setup is complete. The inspection will include verification of the site and qualifications of the on-site personnel, and to ensure proper safety practices are in place.
Commonwealth of Kentucky Regulations
Department of Housing, Buildings, and Construction
Division of Fire Prevention
101 Sea Hero Road
Frankfort, KY 40601-5405
Office Phone Number: 502-573-0382
Fax Number: 502-573-1004
Fireworks Registration Types
- Limited Sales - sale of fireworks as described in KRS 227.702(1)
- Primary Permanent - year-round sale of fireworks described in KRS 227.702 (1) (2) and/or (3)where fireworks are the primary source of business.
- Seasonal Sales - sale of fireworks described in KRS 227.702 (1) (2) and/or (3) during the following time frames: June 10th through July 7th December 26th through January 4th.
Fireworks Law & Regulation Requirements
- Pursuant to House Bill 333 of the 2010 Regular Session each site at which fireworks are offered for sale shall have a firework registration certificate displayed in a conspicuous location.
- No person or business shall give, offer for sale or sell any consumer fireworks listed in KRS 227.702 to any person under the age of 18.
- No person under the age of 18 shall sell consumer fireworks at consumer fireworks retail-sales facility unless the individual is supervised by a parent or guardian.
- A copy of a sales and use tax permit obtained from the Department of Revenue must be provided with the fireworks application to the State Fire Marshal as a condition of registration. To obtain your sales and use tax permit contact the Division of Sales and Use Tax at 502-564-5170, or via email.
- A fireworks registration form shall be submitted to the State Fire Marshal's Office at least 15 days prior to sale of fireworks or pay an additional fee of $100 will be assessed for late submittals.
- A copy of the storage notification shall also be submitted to the local fire department having jurisdiction and the State Fire Marshal's Office at least 15 days prior to opening firework sales each year.
Building Code Regulations
- Check with local government to ensure compliance with local laws and ordinances ie Local Building Codes, Planning and Zoning
- A temporary certificate of occupancy for firework retail must be obtained prior to the sale of consumer fireworks in tents or temporary stands. A certificate of occupancy for firework retail must be obtained prior to the sale of consumer fireworks in year-round facilities. You can contact the Division of Building Code Enforcement at 502-573-0373 or local building code official.
- Each site shall comply with all provisions of the Kentucky Building Code and 2006 edition of NFPA 1124 (National Fire Protection Association)
- Existing businesses that sell the full line of consumer fireworks under KRS 227.702 must submit plans and details to illustrate compliance with NFPA 1124.
- For temporary structures submit the necessary plans and permits to the appropriate authorities.
Consumer Fireworks Retail Sales (CFRS) Permanent Structures Facilities
- For permanent structures submit the necessary plans and details along with registration to the appropriate authorities.
- For the purpose of building codes all CFRS will be classified as new structures. Any new CFRS structures shall be detached stand-alone buildings.
- Sale of consumer fireworks in a CFRS structure shall comply with provisions as set forth in Chapter 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3 of the 2006 edition of NFPA 1124.
- In accordance with 2006 edition of NFPA 1124 Chapter 7.2.4 - Retail sale of display fireworks shall be prohibited at any mercantile or consumer fireworks retail sale facility.
Mercantile Retail Sale
- Mercantile Stores shall comply with Chapter 7.5 of NFPA and Chapter 7.3.15 through 184.108.40.206 of NFPA 1124.
- Existing businesses that sell the full line of consumer fireworks under KRS 227.702 must submit plans and details to the appropriate authorities to illustrate compliance with the 2006 edition of NFPA 1124.
Stands / Temporary (Tent) Structures
All facilities designated as Stands or temporary stands shall comply with Chapter 7.6 of NFPA 1124.
Sales will not be permitted within Multiple Tenant Buildings. The sale of consumer fireworks is required to be in a detached stand-alone building.