Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction
Division of Fire Prevention
101 Sea Hero Road Suite 100
Frankfort KY 40601-5405
Office Phone Number: 502-573-0382
Fax Number: 502-573-1004
Fireworks Registration Types
1. Limited Sales – sale of fireworks as described in KRS 227.702(1)
2. Seasonal Sales - sale of fireworks described in KRS 227.702 (1) (2) and/or (3) during the following time frames: June 10th through July 7th December 26th through January 4th.
3. Primary Permanent – year round sale of fireworks described in KRS 227.702 (1) (2) and/or (3)where fireworks are the primary source of business.
Fireworks Law & Regulation Requirements
• Pursuant to House Bill 333 of the 2010 Regular Session each site at which fireworks are offered for sale shall have a firework registration certificate displayed in a conspicuous location.
• No person or business shall give, offer for sale or sell any consumer fireworks listed in KRS 227.702 to any person under the age of 18.
• No person under the age of 18 shall sell consumer fireworks at consumer fireworks retail-sales
facility unless the individual is supervised by a parent or guardian.
of a sales and use tax permit obtained from the Department of Revenue must be provided with the fireworks application to the State Fire Marshal as a condition of registration. To obtain your sales and use tax permit contact the Division of Sales and Use Tax at (502) 564-5170, or via e-mail at
• A fireworks registration form shall be submitted to the State Fire Marshal’s Office at least 15 days prior to sell of fireworks or pay an additional fee of $100.00 will be assessed for late submittals.
A copy of the storage notification shall also be submitted to the local fire department having jurisdiction and the State Fire Marshal’s Office at least 15 days prior to opening firework sales each year.
Building Code Regulations
Check with local government to ensure compliance with local laws and ordinances ie Local Building Codes, Planning and Zoning
• A temporary certificate of occupancy for firework retail must be obtained prior to the sale of consumer fireworks in tents or temporary stands. A certificate of occupancy for firework retail must be obtained prior to the sale of consumer fireworks in year round facilities. You can contact the Division of Building Code Enforcement at 502-573-0373 or local building code official.
• Each site shall comply with all provisions of the Kentucky Building Code and 2006 edition of NFPA 1124 (National Fire Protection Association)
• Existing businesses that sell the full line of consumer fireworks under KRS 227.702 must submit plans and details to illustrate compliance with NFPA 1124.
• For temporary structures submit the necessary plans and permits to the appropriate authorities.